Re: Dungeons & Hoomanz

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:37:32 +0300

Stephen Tempest wrote:

> >I've stopped here. I think the vexilla are not merely thieves, so
> >they are looking for something else, or they are part in some
> >conspiration. What are they looking for? Why are they attacking uz
> >lands?
>
> realistic terms, they're sharpening their combat skills and gaining
> real-world battle experience... why? Well, perhaps there's a dart war
> coming up and the vexillum's patron wants to spring a surprise on her
> opponents. Why attack trolls in that case? Because to the hoomanz,
> they're simply evil monsters, worthy only of slaughter.

It might be that the patron's planned dart-war opponents are also uz; a spot of cavern-crawling in Dagori Inkarth might give great experience if the patron is planning to assault an uz association in the Empire, or a clan in Yolp, or something. Uz heroes might defeat such by getting help from a rival Lunar faction that has better terms with uz (maybe a trading association), by putting up a stiff fight, or by making any experience non-relevant: say, by hiring Dragonewt mercenaries (Lunar Commander: "Oh, hell, dragonewts? We won't fight those in Yolp. Let's go home.")

Lots of chances for low humor if you make a "close" parody, too. "After defeating the starving enlo in this cave, you go to the next. Uh-oh! Giant wolves, also hungry! And they've got a pile of treasure!"

Andrew Solovay:
>If so, the humans must be *serious* badasses, or the Uz are very weak.

Awed Sartarite: "Damn! You attacked uz in their *caves?!*" Lunar Soldier: "Oh, it's not that tough, we vampires can see in the dark, and trolls are scared of broo--"
Awed Sartiarte: "Argh!"