Re: HeroQuesters in Black

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:36:45 +0100

>>> Interesting. I had always planned on using it for the Fronelan
>>> Orlanthi... (It is a fine supplement in any case.)
>>

>That's all right - you can never have too many Rus!
>
>And anyway, I think of Tarshites as the more civilised but also
>centralised Kievan Rus, with their black earth soils and relatively
>rich crops. Janubian orlanthi might well have more of a Novgorod
>vibe, with power resting in the city veche, its ring...

In the JonatelaPack I'm writing at the moment (largely because I haven't got anything better to do - goodness knows what I'll do it with it when I've finished), I've used the 8th-12th century Rus as my main model. With, of course, a substantial dollop of late medieval Highland Clansmen and a side-order of post-Viking Scandinavia, since one model is never enough. Of course, they're more like Siberian colonists than Kievan black-earth farmers, what with the weather and all.
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic