Re: sea spirits or sea gods ?

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:21:37 +0200

Bryan :

> With the imminent arrival of HQ there is another option of sorts
> added, that most belong to a "common religion", and may use some mix
> of various magics.

Indeed, thanks. I'll wait and see what HQ has to offer about this.

>*slaps forehead*

> Doh! With the imminent arrival of HQ, "heroquest voices" will be
> released on the web. I seem to recall it will include a POV for one
> of the aquatic races. This may answer some of your questions, if you
> can manage to wait another ~20 days.
> "What the Storyteller Told Me - A Personal View of Ludoch Life
> by Martin Hawley
> The Voice of the Deep - Inner Knowledge of the Sea Gods
> by Greg Stafford, Sandy Petersen, and Stephen Martin"

I can manage that :)

Thanks. I was already waiting for the Esrolian PoV, but having Ludoch also will be a great boon.

> I'm not sure how well wizardry/sorcery/veneration/whatever we're
> supposed to call it now would work under water (do they have a
> writing method? Can you have magic of this sort without written
> instructions?)

I don't think they have writing. Oral culture, I think. But tatooes ...

> Of course, the more magically powerful sorts would be specialized, so
> in the end you still have to anser the question to some degree. But
> it could be that for the general aquatic denizen, you can just give
> them a handful of likely sounding bits of magic and not worry too
> much about their specific nature.

That's what I intend to do, and anyway tend to do for most of my NPCs.

Nick :
> Then check Anaxial's Rooster, p.116ff:

> - "Ludoch are theists" (p.117)
> - "Ouori are primarily theists" (p.119)
> - Zabdamar: males are animists, females are theists (4th para, p.120).

Ah. My turn slapping forehead :)
Thank you, Mr Brooke.

> > Aldraymi are animists ? Good to know.

> AR p.124: "The Aldryami worship many gods and spirits within the
> religion of Aldrya, who is always paramount." Elf bows act as spirits
> for AP lending; the sample occupation has "Aldrya Tradition Knowledge".
> Some Aldryami are animists, and I *believe* this is the default (i.e.
> Aldryami are animists the same way Heortlings and Lunars are theists).

Elf bows AP lending. OK. And as my players are reading the list, they will wait for the elves for the following sessions :)

> NB to Bryan: because there are already "rules answers" to these
> questions in Anaxial's Rooster, and because those are presumably less
> likely to be gregged than anything else, and because anyone wanting to
> play one of the Elder Races will need AR anyway, I didn't waste time
> setting out "what kind of magic does this Elder Race use?" explicitly
> when editing the narratives for "Gloranthan Voices".

No, but it'll help me to play Ludoch anyway, most certainly. Got to learn to speak with water in my mouth.

Mr Kyer :
> I believe that the current topic is... drifting Digestward.

> Jeff

Well, I did try to maintain it on a 'play a normal session' ground. Will stop now.

        Philippe