Re: HQ Opinions

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:56:59 +0100

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:49:15 -0000, Mark enquired:

>Comrades!
>
>As more and more of you get your hands on HQ and have the chance to
>look over it, obviously it would be good to hear any feedback. Here
>are a few specific questions of interest to me, to kick things off.
>
>1. What do people think of the Homelands approach? Is there enough
>of a basis there to start you off?

I think the basis is certainly good, though I do (paradoxically) wonder if there are too many of them. In order to allow 10 different cultures (even given that one of them is basically parasitic) it means that the book's got a very wide focus and can't concentrate on one adventuring area as much as I would like. Plus points of course - Teshnos is given more focus here than ever before, but realistically we know perfectly well that there's not going to be a Teshnos sourcebook for 5 years - and perhaps that space could have allowed write ups for an Orlanth Thunderous aspect, Humakt and Kyger Litor, all of which would be of more direct use to 'Orlanthi-All' people running an initially Dragon Pass game.

>2. Do the changes in animism and wizardry make these characters more
>interesting and playable? Are they clear and comprehensible?

I've only read the Animism section in detail so far, but both look vastly improved. The great challenge in a rules light game like HQ/HW is to introduce some crunchy bits to distinguish the different styles, and this comes a long way in the right direction.

>3. The original sample adventures in HW came in for a degree of
>criticism -- what do you think of the ones in HQ?

Certainly look a lot better.

>4. Treat the current book size as a constant: who else would you
>have wanted to have seen included, and what would ou have sacrificed
>to make way for it? The answer 'nothing, it's great as is' is an
>acceptable one, BTW!

See answer to Q1.

This is just nit picking though. The book as is is damn fine.

>These are, of course, just a few questions to start you off -- *any*
>constructive commentary is always appreciated.
>
>(But I would suggest that the topic of the cover is probably done to
>death -- yes, it is bright, perhaps garish, and it may not be that
>accurate in Gloranthan or RW terms, but the intent was to show
>continuity with HW and, above all, something eye-catching to draw
>the attention of the kind of customer who hasn't walked into the
>game store already interested in Glorantha.)
>
>All the best
>
>Mark

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac