Re: More Thoughts on Wounded Gods and Heroes

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:47:14 -0000

John Hughes wrote:
> And the act of self-healing is the prime catalyst for the shamanic
> journey, and in a broader sense for all heroquest.

The Lightbringer's quest seems to me to be the ultimate Storm Tribe myth of self-sacrifice and overcoming of personal infirmities. After all the Lightbringers must die, overcometheir own weaknesses, and return to life.

Orlanth's journey to the Baths of Nelat seems to be an equivalent of Odin's hanging himself from the World Ash Tree - enlightenment through personal suffering. Any of the Lightbingers might then I suggest have a 'victim' aspect. Of course worship of such cults would be exceptional and strange, perhaps even a mystery cult, but this is the Hero Wars the stage is set for worshippers of such unique forms to take their place.