Re: More Thoughts on Wounded Gods and Heroes

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:35:23 -0000

Mikko wrote:
> Mastakos was hamstrung (by the evil dogs, I seem to recall) but had
his
> tendons recovered by Orlanth.

[Bearing in mind that I can't really remember the Healing of Mastakos myth, and haven't got King of Sartar next to me, and may therefore be repeating something already said... :o)]

It might be fun if some clans told a variant on the myth, wherein Mastakos wasn't a charioteer to begin with, but a normal chap (perhaps the fastest runner etc.) who was crippled by the 'Bad Dogs', and in questing to overcome his disablement wasn't healed, but recovered his tendons and instead used them to rein in the 'Wild Horses of Doobidumdidoobah'* and became Orlanth's charioteer in that fashion. Still disabled, but peerless in motion as a charioteer.

A crippled god of mobility is an appropriate mythic device, with some fun/disturbing knock-ons for devotion and secrets in HeroQuest. 'There is always another way.'

*gods' organs being abnormally sized and all...

Cheerio,

Stu.