More Vanchite league--the Speaking Wheel Union

From: jajagapa <harald.smith_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:09:01 -0000

As with most Vanchite leagues, many resources go into the Vanchite Trading Association, comprised of several individual banking ventures. The Bright Eyes support the Speaking Wheel Union.

Speaking Wheel Bank Union
We are the Speakers of the Wheel that always turns: the Inner Voice, the Six Spokes, and the Outer Rim. We are the owners of the Fifth Grant of Elmexdros, which gives us the right of trade throughout the Dara Happan lands, as well as the Two Gifts of Good Shore. We provide economic aid along the Oslir River to those who desire use of our barges, wagons, and servants. We are known by our token: the Wheel that runs upon the Water.

Player Hero Opportunity: Heroes may be of any relation/kinship to a Spoke of the Union and even rise to sit upon the Spoke's Ring. As such they may influence the decisions of the Spoke and potentially achieve the Inner Voice. Such heroes also venture far afield, to gather news and information of those who seek to steal the monopolies away.

Hero Band Opportunity: The Six Spokes are always found, never born, but once bestowed stay with the designated chief for his/her life. All kin of a Spoke are automatically on the Spoke and have the right and privilege to aid the Spoke, including hero bands. There is scope for a hero band to serve on the Outer Rim, hired for short or lifelong  service, particularly in efforts to maintain the revenue source of the Spoke.

Resources: The Speaking Wheel Bank Union has huge monetary resources from their six major monopolies, as well as long-term contracts, great debts owed by powerful Imperial agents and local leaders (such as Pilex Wearomon of New Lolon), and the ownership of many vessels/vehicles of transportation.

Connections: We are part of the Vanchite Trading Association, which we actively support. We owe tribute to the King of Vanch, as part of his Imperial obligation. We provide service and aid to the kin of the Six Spokes in maintaining their respective services. And we support two special bands: the Margins, from whom we draw resources into the Outer Rim; and the Gold Wheel Dancers, who provide entertainment to many upon the Oslir.

Components:
We are the union of the six chiefs, bearers of the Spokes, and our kin, centered upon the ancient site of Dorarleya, but spread throughout the surrounding cities and villages and even up and down the Oslir. Our respective lawspeakers, weaponthanes, crafters, speakers, scribes, and bearers aid us in our daily tasks. The Outer Rim, the many folk who we pay to perform occasional tasks, in turn aids our kin.

Each Spoke maintains one of the ancient monopolies acquired by the Speaking Wheel Bank Union.

The Kedevi Toll: by Imperial decree, the toll on all goods going up or down the Kostaddi River must be paid to the First Spoke. This dates back to the Vanchite negotiations securing first the marriage of the Sable Queen to Jannisor and then the union of the Sable Folk to the Empire.

The Amoli Glass Monopoly: noted for its production of fine glass tiles and beads, typically used in Solar or Lunar temples, this monopoly has been extremely lucrative for the Speaking Wheel's Second Spoke for more than a wane.

The Orlentos Gift: for the funding of the heroic efforts of Yelmgatha, the Third Spoke of the Speaking Wheel Union gained the Orlentos Gift, a regular revenue payment. This gift has been traded away or lost, only to be regained, several times. Currently, this revenue has furthered the development of Orlentos and its temple of Yelm.

The Prism Trade Monopoly of Yuthuppa: though they lost the monopoly on manufacturing prisms, the Fourth Spoke of the Speaking Wheel Union has steadfastly held the right to trade prisms within the walls of Yuthuppa. However, the Lunar Church is now actively pursuing this monopoly and considerable resources are spent fending off the church.

The Tenth of Melsorkoth: one-tenth of the city's revenue is due the Fifth Spoke.

The Slaves of the Three River Junction: the Sixth Spoke of the Speaking Wheel Union controls the slave trade monopoly not only in Melsorkoth, but also within a ten mile radius of that city, up and down the Oslir and up the Vosel and Kistel rivers. The question of whether this monopoly's revenue makes up part of the Tenth of Melsorkoth or not has led to strong disputes not only with the Fifth Spoke, but also with the Antirian justices and Buserian scribes of that city.

The Founding Story
In the aftermath of the War of Black Iron when tyrants ruled the Oslir and the land was piled with the corpses of the dead, the Six Paws of the Furtive Shadows found the broken Spokes. They fashioned these into a new wheel, bound by the Rim of the Speaking Wheel, which whispered of a unity now lost to the world. They accepted the voice and formed the Speaking Wheel Union to aid those they could gather. In time, they received privileges from the Emperor of Dara Happa and the King of Vanch.

The Spokes have broken many times since—destroyed by Veranmars, the Dragons, Lunars and Pentans. Each time, those in need of an Inner Voice have found them again and reformed the Speaking Wheel Union. Five of the Spokes are now from the Bright Eyes Nest, blood descendants of the Red Emperor and the Queen of Vanch. They have craftily reclaimed their privileges and powers.

The Transforming Copper Tools
Tunoral found and used the five Transforming Copper Tools. He gave each of these to his folk to aid them in the Darkness. Since Time began, these tools have regularly reappeared, though like the masks of Tunoral, they have taken different forms.

The Wire Cloak: originally held in Doraryela, this was the Knot of Unity. Some say it is the Hair of Verhil, which Tunoral cut from the back of that giant. Since Time began, it has been the Many-branched Dam, the Belt of Alliance, and probably was the Yoke of Iaris. Many now say it is the Rim of the Speaking Wheel, though the Speaking Wheel Union and the Bright Eyes Nest both deny it. Its qualities are Binding and Unity.

Note: despite the names of the union, the Speaking Wheel and of their special band, the Gold Wheel Dancers, their is no connection (other than the name which they have taken for their own) with the Dawn Age Elder Race called the Gold Wheel Dancers, whose leader was Speaking Wheel.

Harald