Re: More Vanchite league--the Water Dog

From: jajagapa <harald.smith_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:30:19 -0000

The Erindamic Council: Seat of the Water Dog

The Erindamic Council leads the Vanchite Trading Association and the ten seats on the Council determine collective action by the association. The Bright Eyes and the Speaking Wheel Union have long held the Seat of the Water Dog. We speak our voice on the Council and participate in the rituals that bind the Association together. This is a political office, but the Water Dog has many dog servants who keep their eyes on affairs of trade and the river.

Player Hero Opportunity: The agents of the Water Dog include bureaucrats, spies, trackers, sailors, and enforcers. Only descendants of the Bright Eyes may rise into the higher bureaucracy of the Water Dog's organization, but membership in several bands are open to heroes of particular backgrounds.

Hero Band Opportunity: The Water Dog hires out hero bands to perform larger tasks. If these bands provide good service, they may be contracted on a long-term basis.

Resources: The Vanchite Trading Association provides resources ranging from information and loans to powerful agents and enforcers.

Connections: We fulfill the contracts and rituals of the Vanchite Trading Association. The Water Dog has specific powers and rights upon the vessels of the association.

Components
We have family members working in the offices of the Vanchite Trading Association in each city in Vanch as well as ports along the Oslir, including Dara Happa and Mirin's Cross. We support three special agencies:

Ferryman's Kin: the Water Dog supports many temples of Alakarma along the rivers in Vanch.

The Five Flower Basket: a network of women in the Riverjoin marshes who provide ritual food for the Water Dog.

The Teeth of Tunoral: this hero band serves as enforcement for the Water Dog, usually in the vicinity of Penkrathos.

Leader: Skrenerit, the Water Dog
In 1609 S.T., Skrenerit, a blood kin of the Bright Eyes and the 1st Spoke of the Speaking Wheel Union and warrior of the Teeth of Tunoral, was chosen as the proxy of the Water Dog Hurgrin in the annual river ritual of Penkranthos—the Unbinding of Verenmars' Knot. Skrenerit, however, altered the ritual in such a way that Hurgrin was seized and devoured by the waters and it was Skrenerit who emerged with the talisman of the Water Dog. Skrenerit has held this position ever since, always entering the annual ritual himself, though usually with the aid of the Fish, the Coon, and the Spear.

Skrenerit is an active member of the Erindamic Council and usually takes the lead role in working with the river folk and their temples. He is outwardly friendly, but like many Vanchites, is a man of many masks. Most commonly he appears to be a deliberate and patient judge of people and events or a bold leader, ready to commit his resources decisively. He still wears bears the Teeth of Tunoral, though, and has been known to quickly and viciously respond to perceived threats, such as the Sylilan Band of the Harmonious Waters. He distrusts Dara Happans and only rarely leaves Vanch.

Harald