Re: Music for/in HeroQuest

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:34:37 -0000

Howdo,

Oliver:
> I wouldn't worry about it...

Oh, no worry :). It was just a joke at seeming a loner! I enjoy and accept all styles of atmosphere-building, in game or out, as people find most enjoyment in. On that note, I sometimes music can be quite a tool for when I can't wield a narrative together as well as others might, and can me give a bit of support.

Jane:
> As a general rule I find I have enough trouble hearing
> what all the players are saying without introducing
> any more background noise. But I'll add it in for
> extra effect on occasion.

Quite true; and I'll be honest and say that those of us in our group who use music in games know what level to use by experience, and haven't always get it quite right! Though I'd hope I'm past the stage of getting too into the Conan soundtrack to pay enough attention to the game, now :)

Often I take along large amounts of 'ambient crap' as my friends endearingly call it (Klaus Schulze, Red Shift, Silent Watcher of Dark Matter etc.), which provides a soft ambience distinct from the normal room sounds. Often appropriate for less energetic portions of adventuring, or inbetween contests - when players often get active and drown the perhaps incongruous music out, anyway.

Michael:
> I've always been rather partial to Hans Zimmer's film scores...

Good choice; and Chris Franke, good man! Tangerine Dream's Zeit is an album I'll take to lots of sessions, as it's, well, a little weird. Great, yet slightly otherworldly (and I don't mean 'New Age ethereal') ambience. Perhaps useful for stranger elements and stages of Heroquests?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/- /B00007L9N6/qid=1063315519/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-0856732-0938444? v=glance&s=music

Keith:
> I almost never use background music for games. However...

Cheers, Keith, sounds great fun! Westerns have always appealed to me for some elements. Whenenver I think of a lone, shaggy High Llama rider, hobbling along the plain, I can't get this tune (RAM) out of my head...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000002W71001003/026- 2452379-3258068

> There are however some songs we may never hear, for example:
> Kajabor-bor-bor god of cosmic entropy (as sung by Black Lace)

The horror, the horror... :D

Okay, open competition for those who have 'talent' in this field. What's the best Gloranthan version of 'Itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dot bikini'? Or has it already been done?

Cheerio,

Stu.