Geos

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:09:32 -0700

Friends,

> From: "pedrodevaca" <pavis_gm_at_...>
>Subject: Geo's question

First, do see the article that Nick referenced.

>>From my understanding Geo is the Sartarite godlet
>of hospitality. I
>have also read (not sure where) that the inns are
>selective about
>their patrons. This seems a bit contradictory.

Actually, he is not the god of hospitality. That is Orlanth. Geo is a hero cult that is dedicated to taking care of homeless and refugee Sartarites. They are pledged to take in any Sartarite in actual need.

>My take is that the Geos inns and cults are
>somewhat of a drinker's
>club.

This is actually secondary. Drinking is a part of Sartarite life, so it is part of this cult.

>Sure, you become an 'initiate' of Geo, but
>requirements are
>little more than doing business at Geo's
>establishments and buying a
>round of drinks occasionally for the regulars.

No. The obligation of joining the cult is to later conribute whatever you can to the support of other needy people. If the cult representative shows up and asks for contributions, you have to contribute what you can or else the Bounder shows up to collect more than you can afford.

>The
>idea of
>hospitality is, as with most Heortling traditions,
>expected to extend
>only to other cultists or friendly Sartarite
>travelers.

Hospitality rules extend to strangers as well as cultural kin. That is, if you extend it to anyone, you are obliged to maintain it. So if your brother´s murderer or a Lunar priestess is given your hospitality, you MUST keep it. If not, you forfeit Oralth´s protection.

>But, I don't see an establishment like this having
>much success, let
>alone becoming popular enough to form a 'chain' of
>inns.

The "inns" angle is not an accurate image. It is more like a joke or a pun. Thus the names, "Come on Inn," the "Hidden Inn" and so on. It´s not really a commercial establishment.

>Moreover,
>I'm not sure that all of this fits into the
>HeroQuest 'vision' of
>Genertela. Any ideas or comments would be welcome.

It fits into my vision, and of course, YGWV.

--Greg Stafford