Re: HELP! Can anyone explain the mechanics of Sorcery and Tapping?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:42:48 -0700

> This was a point of some confusion for me as, in the Wizardry chapter, we
are introduced to a kewl and malevolent form of Wizardry and then *POOF*... There it went. Nothing else.

> It is my understanding, from talking with others on the subject, that
there is no published explanation that goes much further towards bringing Sorcery into HQ. So, I'm asking here for house rules or GM interpretations. Any help/advice/house rules that you can give would be of mondo help to me.

> First, does Sorcery differ mechanically from Wizardry and, if so, how?

"Sorcery" is simply "Wizardry" without the Church. Saints are out, Founders are in. Otherwise the rules are prettty much the same - use the rules for Adepts and ignore the Orderlies, Liturgists, and other trappings of the Church. Sorcery isn't necessarily malevolent, though it can be (on the other hand, church organizations can be malevolent too - Holy Inquisition anyone?).

> Second, what is Tapping, beyond what is listed in the brief mention in HQ?

Tapping is the stealing of another's life force, memory, abilities, etc. Tapping is evil, and banned by most Right Thinking People (tm). Tapped people are useally listless, pale, etc., or even dead in extreme circmstances. Tappers usually have justifications for Tapping that make the Nazis and KKK seem like nice guys.

> And, third, how do you handle Tapping in your games? What mechanics do you
use? Do you treat Tapping as a Skill or a Magical Ability? What effects do you adjudicate on the thing or person being tapped? How do you arrive at your results?

Rules were published in Hero Wars, but were deleted From HQ for a couple reasons: They were badly written, and tapping isn't as prevalent as HW made it seem. The HQ rules are intended to cover the most normal activities; Tapping isn't normal.

Tapping will probably make its reappearance when the West is addressed by Issaries - as will Sorcery.

Until then, a quick fix is to allow a Tapper to steal abilities from the target to get augments for a future scene (since tapping is more like a ritual than an instant-use ability). It is definitely magical. So if you tap 10 points off of someone, you get a +1 augment to a similar ability at a later date.

Tapping is one of those things that most sagas should leave to the Evil Villain(tm) rather than letting PC Heroes use. Sorta like having Chaos features, or being a vampire. (not to say that a campaign based on chaos creatures of vampires couldn't be run, just that most people are on the other side).

> I know this is a lot of questions, but I've seriously run into a wall
here. Currently, I am working on a couple of conversion docs and it would be really great to know exactly how others use Tapping as my attempts to emulate what is written in HQ are not meeting with much success.

What are you trying to convert?

RR
- Richelieu