Re: first book suggestions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:59:20 -0000

Paul asked:

> I've been a fan of Glorantha since RQ II. It was the world itself
> that initially drew me. I loved the rich history, culture and
> religion, and how they all intertwined.
> I'm ready to order HQ, and what I'm stuck on is which books I
> should start with, beyond the main HQ book. I can probably only
> pick up one, but I'm torn as to which one. Any suggestions?

If you want plenty of rich and intertwining Gloranthan histories, cultures and religions, that'd be the "Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars" paperback. WARNING: it doesn't contain any rules material at all!

If you want background for a particularly interesting region of Glorantha, get "Imperial Lunar Handbook volume 1: The Lunar Empire" to add several rich and intertwined cultures (with HQ character generation keyword and magic info) to your game.

If you want a single, *extremely* rich culture and religion, Thunder Rebels is a practically anthropological sourcebook for the Heortling Orlanthi of Dragon Pass. But it doesn't intertwine much.

If you want scenarios for Heortling player characters, "Barbarian Adventures" (beginner stuff) or "Orlanth is Dead" (desperate rebel battles against the Lunar occupiers).

And I hope you've found "HeroQuest Voices" by now -- unlike the others, it's free. (see http://www.issaries.com for your copy).

Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have their own.

Cheers, Nick