Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:06:01 +0000

>Over on the Rules list, a conclusion has just been reached that
>a "new" devotee gets three feats in each affinity.
>
>OK so far. But it gets me wondering: just what, narrative-wise, is
>involved in devotion? Whether done in play or as part of the back-
>story, it seems likely to be a Big Deal. Learning nine new Feats is
>just the start of it.
>
>My particular interest at present is in Humakt, but the question
>would apply to all cults. How have others handled it? What cool ideas
>can I borrow?

I haven't got to that stage yet, and I think it would be a lot of work to get a complete description done for even one God. I suspect that I would try and make up some extracts of the more important parts to be handled narratively for that reason and because doing more would mean spending a lot of time on one player.

What I would expect is a mix of tests. Formal tests (written if the culture is literate or the God is concerned with literacy) mainly concerned with knowledge of the God and myths. Practical tests in the skills appropriate to a follower of the God and moral tests where the would-be devotee has to make the "right" choice. The latter would often be dressed up to make it look as if they are not tests, or to otherwise mislead the character so that a genuine moral choice has to be made. A Humakti might be asked to kill someone close to them - although the test would usually stop short of killing that person. Killing a thrall instead might be more common. Moral tests might be like a HeroQuest or even performed as some form of HeroQuest.

I would expect devotion to culminate in a Heroquest - probably a "practice" Heroquest or one that's so well trodden it's hard to tell the difference. There is a problem that the obvious myth would also be used for initiation - perhaps Devotion involves a "Deeper" version which includes things not spoken of to outsiders (for Humakti it is possible that the severing story somehow involves the slaying of Grandmother Mortal - or someone who is kin to Humakt - Ragnaglar maybe ? The necessity of this slaying is the driving force behind the severing).

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.