Re: Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:12:21 +0000 (GMT)

> Well that is the question ,isn't it ? Unless the
> Devotion itself
> justifies a specific death then it may be hard to
> find someone who is
> close to the would-be Devotee and whose death is
> (otherwise) justified.

(puzzled) Yes, obviously. So in that case, the test isn't going to be a "kill best friend, family, or other emotionally significant person" one. If the situation doesn't arise, it can't be used.

> >As a player, yes. So the character is as I
> describe:
> >in-game, and ignoring the fact that he's a PC, why
> >does he do this?
>
> I'm just pointing out that a more realistic
> situation few friends,
> with the most important ones being other PCs rather
> than just one friend.

That's your idea of realistic?? (shrug) YGMV...

He hasn't even got any followers?

Ignore that fact that he happens to be a PC, not an NPC: no relationships to family or to anyone else beyond his fellow fighters sounds like someone who has no more to learn about dropping all relationships in favour of the deity. I don't know what test would be demanded of him, but it wouldn't be that. So whether his fellow fighters are PCs or not, and whether one of them has conveniently just done something demanding their death or not, is irrelevant.

> I'm relying on KoS plus what I remember from a web
> writeup or two.
>
> I would have expected the Household to be almost
> entirely Devotees.
> Salinarg's children, however, may well have been
> Disciples -
> certainly they went beyond the usual level of
> Devotion.

May well have been. But it depends on what you regard as usual for Devotees, doesn't it?

Want to remind us just what they *did* do, for the benefit of those without KoS, so we can see just how things *can* be scaled up for that sort of level?

> >OTOH, read ST p 97, and you'll see some sample
> >Disciples of Humakt. "wiped out ten villages..."
> >"killed everyone in three towns..." they're not
> nice
> >people!
>
> The first actually had a good reason - stopping a
> plague.

Well, of course he had a good reason. He's Humakti, not Gargathi. No-one's ever suggested he'd kill *without* a good reason, have they?

Jane Williams

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk