Re: Humakti Devotion

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:54:33 -0500

At 08:02 AM 11/10/2003 +0000, Jane Williams wrote:
> --- Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...> wrote:
> > Given that we're talking about Orlanthi law,
>
>Which is a question in itself.
>
>*IF* the murderer was Orlanthi in the first place,
>(and more especialy if the victim was Orlanthi) then
>no doubt Orlanthi law will have something to say about
>it. But Humakti law may well say something entirely
>different. And if either murderer or victim were not
>Orlanthi, then it'll be a different set of laws again.
>Which the Humakti will still ignore...

         I disagree with this. Humakti law does not, I think, trump Orlanth's law. Orlanth's law, rather, recognizes that Humakti are a special case and are given "extra room" in some cases. There is nothing particularly odd about this -- Orlanthi law seems somewhat situational, especially when it comes to cults -- Helerings and Yinkini are given extra license in sexual matters, Vingans are judged as men and warriors rather than women, and so on. However, Humakt accepted Orlanth as Chief; one assumes that means that Humakt accepts Orlanth's law (otherwise there's not much honor there, eh?). Now, given what we know about Orlanthi law -- non-secret killing is not particularly forbidden, blood money and vendetta are acceptable, and that it's the kin's duty to collect -- if a Humaki kills someone, it may be easier to let things go than demand justice. Maybe the chief for whom the Humakti works will pay the fine, maybe the temple will, maybe the family will just eat the shame of it all. They can always challenge the Humakti if they don't like it.

         If Humakti are running around killing people and causing trouble, Orlanthi clans will not have that much trouble putting them down. Sure Humakti are dangerous warriors, but there are a lot of combat cults out there. Uroxi are allowed to be crazy, belligerent, property-damage-causing lunatics because they provide a very useful service, not because Urox is somehow above Orlanth's law. Same for Humakti. Gargathi are, of course, beyond Orlanth's law. It's why there aren't too many of them, and they live a fairly wretched existence.

         Sometimes Humakt demands that his followers commit actions that put them into conflict with clan, tribal, and cultural law. Why should they expect immunity? It's not like the Death God is a merciful and kind boss....

Peter Larsen