Re: Re: Humakti Devotion

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:21:04 -0500

At 12:47 PM 11/19/2003 +0000, Jane Williams wrote:
> --- simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...> wrote: >
> > I'm not sure this jives with the meaning of Humakt's
> > severing of his
> > kin relationships. He did so not to escape the
> > consequences of his
> > actions, but so that he could embrace those
> > consequences fully and personaly.
>
>The reason why he severed relationships seems to vary
>enormously depending on which myth you're reading.
>Off-hand, I can think of:

         All of these deal with Humakt's relation to the Storm Tribe -- is it necessarily an aspect of all versions of Humakt? Humakt is worshipped outside of Orlanthi culture in (at least) Esrolia and Carmania (and your character's situation) -- they certainly do not have to explain why Humakt severed himself from his kin. Maybe their myths about Humakt have say he left own family in disgust to take service with a better (more honest, more correct, more whatever) group. Maybe non-Orlanthi Humakti don't sever their connection to their families. Maybe they immediately replace loyalty to a family with loyalty to a lord, temple, community, whatever on initiation -- showing their extreme abstract dedication to a group or cause rather than individuals.

Peter Larsen