Re: HQ newbie questions

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:12:22 -0000

LOoking at the examples in HeroQuest is a good idea. During the Killing Bone ritual, one of the players decided his un-defined "Stone String" charms were anti-wizardry. It had not really been used before that point.

(snapper deleted)

VERY cool usage. We do something similar though our players have not been devoting points to magic items at that rate, sadly.

> relevant to the story,

**KEY POINT!** Relevant to the story...

> >In fact, there seems a general tendency in the
> >character generation phase to give new PC's magical
> >items and powers, which was certainly not the case in
> >RQ. There you usually started out pretty raw, and had
> >to acquire them as you went. Is this difference
> >because it is now universally assumed that all PC's
> >are experienced?

That and, frankly, I always hated starting out in a game where a stray dog could kill me in a few moments. I'll leave that to Everquest or Acheron's Call or Dungeons and Dragons.

Heroquest is about heroes.

> It might be easier for new players not to play the most powerful
> magicians (devotees, shamans, etc.) but then I think the rules
> already say this.

Yeah. Its generally difficult to start off play with a priest/wizard/shaman but many starting characters can come pretty close.

> >Swords are described on p78 (it gives a +3 bonus in combat).
>
> If you want. I've never worried about the standard bonuses. They
all
> pretty much average out (if everyone has a sword, everyone is +3,
so
> why bother?)

Yep. Standard bonus plus whatever else it does. That's what the magical rating is for, at least, in my books.

Ironbone, while cool, is pretty boring if all it is is an iron bone with an augment rating on it. But I am sure the player's used it in other ways during the campaign.

Jeff