Re: Hiia armor?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:59:13 -0000

>>On the other hand that's a pretty arid place so the snow fall may
>>not be very great.

We give some hard data for climate of Kerofinela (Dragon Pass) in the forthecoming supplement. It's humid with warm summers and cold winters. Snow mainly falls in the highland areas - the Grazers as you will see from the maps tend to keep to valleys.

>>Of course, the coming of the Verdref makes things easier, as they
>>provide winter grain.

It's important to recognize though that the Grazers are 'broken' nomads' originating from Pent, and driven from Prax. Their lifestyle echoes theirnomadic past but their existence has a dependence on the fixed vendref settlements who provide the food that enables them to keep large horse herds through the winter. We might even wonder if the Grazers would have survived without their serf population.

>>Mythologically speaking, they worship fire spirits, and no
>>doubt those help keep away the storms and give them more sunny
>>skies, with less precipitation.

Very important within Glorantha. Within Dragon Pass for example the weather is tempered, as are the Storm Gods, within the Glowline in Tarsh. So yes, the Grazer's religious practice will probably include practice heroquests against darkness opponents the outcome of which may determine the harshness of the coming winter. You can only really use terrestial climate as a broad guide to Gloranthan weather. Gloranthan weather has mythical as well as climatic influences and resonances.