Re: Esrolian Questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:56:20 +1300

At 10:18 PM 12/16/03 +0100, you wrote:

> > The Year Kings are worshipped as the Gods themselves.

>I remember having some problem understanding G:ittHW on this.

Year Kings and Year Fathers are the same thing AFAIK. I wrote King in the submitted MS and Greg changed this to Father.

>We decided in our game that the Year Fathers are the divine lovers of
>Esrola/Ernalda and that the Year Sons are their human incarnations.

IMO the Esrolians see the Year Kings as the physical incarnations of the Gods on earth (in much the same way as the Pharaoh or the Red Emperor). Even though their bodies change from time to time, they are still the same.

As Year Kings, they are the actual lovers of each of the Queens that support them and they have some modest authority over them (being the means by which the Pharaoh controlled all the Queens of Esrolia). The description of them as "impotent" in the Glorantha: Intro is my bad choice of words as they are fertile.

--Peter Metcalfe