Re: New Topic: Dragonewts in scenarios and in HQ mechanics.

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:02:21 GMT

>Perhaps a dragonewt character could have a "Transcend
>passive/aggressive duality" Personality trait. Or not. Such phrases
>are a little unwieldy though. And it makes them sound awfully
>Hegelian.
>
>O.K., now I am clearly descending into Digest territory.
>
>But if anyone can explain how to represent the 'newt quest to
>overcome dualism in either a) HQ scenarios or b) using HQ mechanics,
>then we might be able to stay here a little longer.

How about having a quest with paired stages (e.g. one stage where the quester has to act passively and the other aggressively). It could even be written so that it doesn't matter which is which but acting passively at both or aggressively at both is a failure. There's a big incentice then for the player as well as the character to get the two abilities to be equal rather than just reducing one or both. Rather than 13 and 17 as the starting points I would be inclined to make it 6 and 6w (player's choice of which is aggressive and which passive) but that does depend a bit on how many hero points the narrator is giving out.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/