Re: Magic in Glorantha?

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:30:40 -0000

Bryan said:

> So long as what you are bargaining for or with is related to one of
> your magics, I'd allow that as a defense. That is, I'd
> allow 'allfather" or "allmother" as a defense against getting
ripped
> when bartering normal goods, combat when talking weapons, etc.

Sort of like Hey Mom/Dad he's picking on me?:-)

> > I can see augments as being par for the course but I still don't
> > think using the full blown magical abilities would be looked on
> that
> > fondly.
>
> I don't think (but am amenable to being convinced otherwise) that
you
> can tell the difference, either in casting or through senses when
> they are being used.

Actually the rules make it pretty clear that augments just increase your mundane skill and do not make it a magical skill wjile using feats, etc. is magic. They're definitely different. A hypothetical resist magic ability would protect you from the magical feat, etc, but do nothing versus an augmented skill.

> But for potential repeat customers? Magic or not, I still think
they
> have to consider what a reasonable price is. This is why nobody
> trusts itinerant merchants, they have no relationship with you, no
> reason for you to trust them, or for them to treat you well.

Agreed.

> I don't think there is a "the magic wears off effect" The magic
> affected his words and presentation, not your mind. So he was
> supernaturally glib, and so persuaded you. Other than perhaps
having
> noticed that he was using magic, I don't think there is any way you
> could tell this.

I disagree on this one. Or rather I agree with you if you're saying he's using his feats to augment his mundane skill then yes he's just affceting his skill.

But if he's using it as a magic feat the effect ends when it ends, there's no lasting effects (beyond a potential duration). If he's using the feat as an active ability he's using that ability directly on me as a magical ability, e.g. Convince Buyer 5W versus my resistance of 14. Otherwise he's using his Bargain 10W versus my resistance of Stubborn Bugger 5W (It's normally 15W but I gave myself a -10 mod). He can augment his Bargain by +3 and it's still not a magical ability.

Only mundane abilities and those augmented with magic have lasting effects, as long as the effect normally would. I think people use augments for the most part because: 1) they provide longer lasting effects; 2) in cases like persuasion magic, stealth etc. they're even less obvious; and 3) an augmented mundane ability is many cases is better than a given magical ability (I said in many cases okay? There's going to be lots of exceptions).

Now here's a good question, Can you augment magic with mundane abilities? Can I use my Jump Skill to augment by Jump Tree Feat? (My head hurts...)

Oliver