Re: Last Samurai

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:10:47 +1100

Heck Mikko, no need to make a fuss over a difference of opinion.

You liked the film, you shared your enthusiasm.

I didn't like it, I took out the scalpel.

Vive le?la?li? difference! :)

We've been talking a little about the movie on Open Hero Quest. I'm the first to concede that my expectations were a little high.

Well, a lot high.

This was, after all, a Tom Cruise movie.

But not Magnolia. Possibly Minority Report. Certainly Top Gun. Much better than MI.

Vanilla Sky? I don't even want to think about it.

It does have much that will interest many on this list, and is the sort of movie our collective hobby radar tends to pick up on. As you quite rightly said, the swordsmanship and battle scenes are **awesome**.

Heck, I hated Braveheart too, but I've seen it now at least a half a dozen times.

I like to think that movie nitpicking too is a part of our hobby.

Pass the popcorn. :)

Cheers

John

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649
Visit CAEPR on the web at http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr/