Re: Re: Glass in Glorantha?

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:56:10 +0100

David Dunham wrote:

> Viktor
>
> >I would be surprised if spirits of any kind existed on
> >Glorantha; distillation requires technology that's not exactly
> >period for Glorantha, doesn't it?
>
> While this isn't the list for discussing the nature of Glorantha, I
> think it's worth mentioning that there *is* no period for Glorantha.
> None of its cultures are like any earthly cultures (although many
> have certain similarities).
>
> I'm not sure if gin is really canonical, but I don't see any reason
> why it couldn't be. It's true that distillation wasn't an early
> invention, but then neither was the stirrup. Neither one really
> requires a large technology base, and both could have existed much
> earlier.
>
> So if you want distilled spirits in your game, I see no reason they
> couldn't be there.

If not a common occurence, I'm certain there are some clans/semi-Lodrili Associations/churches or other who have their own distillation secrets. And beers, mead, wine, etc.

You can imagine people putting grain or fruits in a basket, and dancing and chanting, invoking the powers that be and obtaining strong alcohol at the end. My players know that Caladraland has some pretty strong fruit spirits (in both acceptions), that Porthomeka has rhum (from sugar canes), Esrolian many grain spirits and Uz have... well. Extra-strong triply-blessed Zorak's Own mushroom-with-beetles-parts stuff. Go on, 10w2.

Resisting alcohol could be improvised easily on your Occupation, for Soldiers. And Sailors, of course. And Farmers. And... Ok, just about anyone.

        Philippe