Troy - The Movie - Pavis Lives!

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:01:39 +1100

Tired of Tolkien? Feeling mugged by the Matrix? Did the Last Samurai make you want to hari-kiri?

Well after two years of those rascally rugged riders of Rohan stomping up and down your screens in full Orlanthi (Middle Earth sub chapter) glory, charging in full force against set spears, it looks like the glory days of Pavis and various Lunar infantry units are about to have their (visual) day in 'Troy'.

Bronze is back. And its big.

http://troymovie.warnerbros.com/

Its big budget, features all the usual suspects, and though its a risk judging **anything** by the trailer, this one looks pretty darn promising. We have Bloom, Bean, Banna, Pitt as (an older) Archilles, Peter O'Toole as Priam, and strangely, no sign of Connery. The script apparently dispenses with bright-eyed Athena and the deitific dozen to concentrate on manly men and boodifull women - and of course, being all-about-Archilles, the odd boodifull boy. And at least one cowardly man who gets the girl in the first scene but...aw heck, you all know the story. Plus a hollow horse. And ships. Lots of ships. Nine hundred and ninety eight ships*.

So dump that woad and torc getup and drag your hoplon out of the corner cupboard. Does your leather miniskirt still fit? Dust off those ancient Citadel greek-themed Pavic adventurers and your RQ2-era map of New Pavis. Set your meteorological alarm clock to 'rosey-fingered dawn'. Pull your Fagles and Logue down off the bookshelf. At least this time its just the one book. And not a hairy foot in sight. :)

Archilles. Agamemnon. Odysseus. Hector. Paris. Patrocolus. Ajax (Major & Minor). Diomedes. Nestor. Priam. Aeneus. Helen. Cassandra. Andromache. Hecabe. Zena. :) Kings! Priestesses! Bronze-clad behemoths! Slave Girls! Ant People! Hissy fits! Skullduggery! Men in tight skirts! It doesn't get any more epic than this.

If this gets people reading Homer again it will be worth it for that alone. I hope it does more, and I'm sure it will inspire some great campaigning. After all, a single Agamemnon scene in Time bandits inspired me for years. We still haven't finished with Whitewall as a storytelling nexus.

John

(Still retaining some wide-eyed roleplaying enthusiam it seems)