Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:09:53 -0500

At 01:15 PM 2/22/2004 +0000, Darran wrote:
>I thought that theistic homelands had very few feats as Common Magic
>having more spells, talents and charms instead. The whole point was that
>if someone wanted feats they could initate into a 'proper' cult.
>If they concentrate on theistic magic they would have to give up most of
>their CM.
>Good MGF there as players will have some painful choices to make; cheaper
>magic per HP but losing all use of cool CM or keeping their CM but

         I don't think so. Common magic usually derives from "little forces" -- small daimones, spirits, and essences that are entirely manifest in the material world. The "other" magic system powers come in handy for dealing with the odd "wrong system" being near your home, but there are plenty of "right system" powers that are not powerful enough to be worshipped formally. (Or are too "petty" to be worshipped by the Powers That Be, as Brian has pointed out). So, let's take a theist Heortling, a cotter woman of the Balmyr. She's initiated to Ernalda Steadwife, like many of her kin, and, while she worships properly, she does not have the time or resources (sacrifices and pull with the godar) to advance very far. So she doesn't concentrate her magic. Her common magic (let's pretend that Flesh Man isn't the end of available common magic for the Heortlings) might include necessary charms and spells to deal with nearby animist and sorcerous powers -- the spell that lets her draw water from the Chorms without causing her family harm and the charms that let her pass through or by the spirit groves in the nearby woods without causing offense. She's also picked up a charm from the Kolatings -- how to make straw necklaces that keep her children from losing their way on errands (and makes them return promptly). She makes the little sacrifices to the frog spirits in the reeds (misapplied worship here, but heck, it's common magic) and they show her how to cross the river safely. She also has learned a couple of feats from the ancestors -- Keep Warmth In, Mend Pot, Children Grow Up Smart and Strong -- bits and pieces of magic that might be better provided by more powerful affinities of other cults, but a cotter doesn't have the resources to join multiple sub-cults. And, of course, she may have some of the legacy of Flesh Man -- talents that help her and hers survive when the greater magic fails or is unavailable.

         This is my opinion. Plus, I think common magic is kind of neat, and I would like even concentrating PCs to have access to it, although in a reduced form (they'll be magically buff enough to get over the Chorms without a spell or charm (or you'll have another story to tell)).

Peter Larsen

Engineering and Physical Sciences Librarian University of Rhode Island Library
15 Lippitt Rd
Kingston, RI 02881-0803

phone: (401) 874-4637
fax: (401) 874-5403