Re: re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:06:44 -0500

At 11:23 AM 2/22/2004 -0800, David Dunham wrote:
>Peter
> >I think common magic is kind of neat,
> >and I would like even concentrating PCs to have access to it, although in a
> >reduced form (they'll be magically buff enough to get over the Chorms
> >without a spell or charm (or you'll have another story to tell)).
>
>Funny, I just had the same thought, seconds before I read this. It's
>cool and fun. Yet the rules tell you to be a concentrated initiate
>(since that's the way to get magic), and give it up.

         Yeah, maybe it's to give people who aren't concentrated a little oomph, but the vast bulk of player characters will concentrate, since they can see the HP costs in a way that the average Gloranthan can't. So give 'em a break, already; give Heortlings some common feats. Just be sure to make the spells and charms juicy enough that there's a bit of regret for the concentration.

         Which brings me to another point -- how restrictive is that "only magic from your god" clause for the devotee? I can see giving up feats, powers, common magic, and so on, but they get various boosts from being part of the communal worship of a pantheon -- does that also go away? Can the wyter give a bonus to the Hedkoranth devotee? How about the Humakt devotee? (Heck, how about the Kolating shaman?) When the Barntar priest comes around to bless the fields, does the Issaries devotee have to say "no thanks?" OK, she could probably trade something to the Barntari; how about the LM devotee? Does he have to grow his carrots with no magic at all, not even the usual communal crop magic?

Peter Larsen