Re: re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:14:17 +0000

Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...> writes:

> Which brings me to another point -- how restrictive is that "only
>magic from your god" clause for the devotee? I can see giving up feats,
>powers, common magic, and so on, but they get various boosts from being
>part of the communal worship of a pantheon -- does that also go away? Can
>the wyter give a bonus to the Hedkoranth devotee? How about the Humakt
>devotee? (Heck, how about the Kolating shaman?) When the Barntar priest
>comes around to bless the fields, does the Issaries devotee have to say "no
>thanks?" OK, she could probably trade something to the Barntari; how about
>the LM devotee? Does he have to grow his carrots with no magic at all, not
>even the usual communal crop magic?

I would say that a devotee is allowed to accept help from somebody, who happens to be using magic. They can't use the magic itself.

After all, a devotee is still expected to be part of their community, helping it and benefiting from its help. Issaries and Lhankor Mhy are members of the Storm Tribe, and presumably they don't turn away Barntar when he comes to bless the fields in Storm Stead. Since devotees are striving to live exactly like their god, they should behave in the same way towards Barntar's earthly representative.

I'm not sure how wyters fit into this. :)

Stephen