Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:12:43 -0000

A couple of notes here:

> Maybe the rule of the Orlanthi "all" should apply to magic use as
well? I
> can see 6 out of 7 Heortlings will be primarily Theists, while 1
will be
> steeped in strange practices that are nonetheless part of Heortling
culture
> (Donandar musicians via Drogasi, Lhankor Mhy Alchemists, Kolating
Shamans
> and Odayla spiritists, weird inheritors of Youf magic, and so on.)

Well, 6/7 follow Orlanth or Ernalda directly, leaving only 1/7 for all the other stuff to start with, and most of the other stuff is pretty 'normal' theism. Maybe 1/7 * 1/7 get weird? Even that might be high.

Remember, by Greg's own calculation, most of the 'common' non-O&E cults have only ~1000 members in Sartar (hence the joke that every Humakti in Sartar is a player character!)

> Also, let's remember - in HQ game terms, concentration simply means
you pay
> double to learn something outside of your Bailiwick. It doesn't
mean you
> *can't do it.* Further, all of the above would IMO be acceptable to
> Heortlings, if strange to varying degrees.

Umm, that isn't how I read the rules.

I think it is that if you don't concentrate, all magic costs are "double" (or more precisely, are the default value, 6 HP to raise an affinity by one if used in game, etc).

If you do concentrate, you have to give up all other magic, but get the half price special on buying your concentrated magic.

You can "back-slide" and de-concentrate, at which point all costs are paid at full again. Perhaps that is what you meant? Rule wise yes it is possible to concentrate, drive up you rating, then deconcentrate  and broaden your magic. In game terms I would imagine there are apt to be consequences however. (I'd also probably require some sort of contest to de-concentrate)

--Bryan