Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:57:57 -0000

Sartar is extremely theistic - its sort of the Orlanthi "core" or heartland. If I recall, a major reason for immigrating there was to to be a traditionalist without these new fangled ideas that were cropping up out of Esluvar, Esrolia and other places. Other Orlanthi peoples are not such purists, I think. The Esluvari probably have a lot of Theists amongst the peasantry.

Orlanthi are going to have a very strong theistic bent but places like Wenelia with its strong overlay of animist (particularly hsunchen) peoples as well as influences from the West will have an effect.

> Umm, that isn't how I read the rules.
>
> I think it is that if you don't concentrate, all magic costs
> are "double" (or more precisely, are the default value, 6 HP to
raise
> an affinity by one if used in game, etc).

If you concentrate, you can't learn other magic without loosing your concentration and since you've already given up your other magic to concentrate.

> If you do concentrate, you have to give up all other magic, but get
> the half price special on buying your concentrated magic.
>
> You can "back-slide" and de-concentrate, at which point all costs
are
> paid at full again. Perhaps that is what you meant? Rule wise yes
> it is possible to concentrate, drive up you rating, then de-
> concentrate and broaden your magic. In game terms I would imagine
> there are apt to be consequences however. (I'd also probably
require
> some sort of contest to de-concentrate)

That's possible. Though I wonder if you'd really lose the magic when concentrating or just lose the use of it. I suspect the former though the later *does* have some interesting roleplaying opportunties.

Jeff