Re: Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:11:50 -0500

At 09:48 PM 2/23/2004 +0000, bethexton_at_... wrote:
>My take is that the magic limits are mostly about where you can draw
>power from. Where you supply power to I think is up to you, as
>defined by your virtures, cult views, etc. So a Humakti devotee may
>have more issues supporting a CA (theistic) quest than a Kolating
>(anamist) quest.

         I suppose it depends on how much the support involves "doing" the kind of magic being supported. A ceremony that involves sacrificing to a god should not be done by a concentrated animist. Now, I don't think support is always magic; if your magic is somehow incompatible with the bulk of the ceremony (either because you're an animist and the ceremony's theist or because the myth says "Destor was not there"), you can add your support by doing mundane things -- setting up the posts that define the space, unloading the wagons, standing guard while the ceremony is conducted -- "from all according to their abilities; to all according to the nature of the magic."

>See, I view community support, when it comes to magic, to prove
>that "we are all magic." Being a living being is a type of magic.
>One of the abilities of that magic is that it can be delivered as
>community support. And this 'magic' is distinct from what you get
>from your god. It is in you, and is no more bound by your devotion
>to your god than is a Puma's shape changing.

         Although this is an interesting approach, too....

         Whichever way, it doesn't seem to benefit us too much to agonize about this. "It's community magic; it's fuzzy." (Both as not rigorously defined and giving one a warm feeling.)

Peter Larsen