Re: Cranking Up Thunder Brothers - Submission Call

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:56:00 -0800

John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...> wrote:
> SHOCK HORROR!! EDITOR IN PERIL!!
>
> HELP JOHN REGAIN HIS MOJO (AND STRIKE A BLOW AGAINST THE LUNAR
> EMPIRE)!!!!
Hi! I sent you an email a while back, but it was probably one of the ones that got lost. I hereby reattach.

John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...> wrote:

> A CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
>
> Over the last three years, much of our focus as a gaming community
> has been on Sartar and the Heortlings. Thunder Brothers seeks to
> harvest the imagination and creativity of the many Dragon Pass
> campaigns that have bloomed since the launch of Hero Wars, and to
> provide materials to impel those campaigns into a heroic future.
>
> We are seeking:
>
> [...]
> * myths and heroquests of survival in the Greater Darkness;

I'd be interested in writing some myths. (I've posted a few myths in the various mailing lists; I can send you pointers if you're interested.)

I can sketch out some outlines of possible Heortling myths, or I'd be happy to take any existing outline and turn it into a finished told-by-the-sacred-fire story.

One possibility for an as-yet-unrecorded myth: Before Orlanth set off on the LBQ, he went to his neighbors (and old enemies), making peace with each in turn so his stead would be (a little more) safe when he went on the Quest. This myth is very useful for healing old feuds--by embodying the myth, ancient (tribal) enemies can put aside their differences to face a common, greater, foe.

Presumably each neighbor needed to be pacified in a different way--e.g. Orlanth offered gifts to one, apologized to another, and beat the third into submission. (Perhaps a fourth neighbor remained uninterested in his fight against Chaos, but was at least willing to remain neutral--I see the Dragons as being like that.)