Re: Followers on Quests

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:19:21 -0000

I was wondering about this same thing the other day. I didn't come up with any definitive conclusion, but it seemed to me that in the end the follower ability still made sense to use. When you get to the ritual, there will be some weird magic going on, that animals are certainly able to sense. Some might balk and refuse to go, but others will stay with you....it is even possible that your faithful hound that you intended to leave behind breaks away from its handler/pen/whatever and comes bounding to meet you at the last minute, knowing only that its wonderful master is doing something awesome/awful, and darned if he/she/it is going to let you blunder into it alone.

> But does it even make sense for them to be going on the quest, if
the
> main character didn't have followers? My sense is that probably the
> myth should prevail. Except that all the characters will be the
main
> character (like on p.194), which sort of goes against the solitary
> nature of the myth.

I think making it wonderfully scary and a lot of fun should be the main goal, so if having followers along helps with that I can see a number of ways around it:

Most of all it seems to me that whatever works dramatically and for the players should be fine, unless they are all comsmological rule keepers (not impossible with Glorantha.....)

--Bryan