Re: Assault on Whitewall

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:06:03 +0000 (GMT)

> I find
> it interesting that Dara Happans seem to be the
> siege-engineers of
> the Lunar military - I don't think that siege
> warfare is one of the strengths of the Tarshites.

Tarshites aren't that different from Orlanthi, are they?

> I know it was once assumed that Broyan and his
> companions defeated
> the Crimson Bat by teleporting atop him and killing
> its priests. Is
> that how we now think it was done? Or were there
> heroquests and
> ancient rituals that enabled Broyan and his
> companions to repel the Bat?

Both, perhaps? The rituals being why the Bat almost turned on the Lunar army once it was running out of controlling priests?

Those rituals might have lessened its generic Fear attack, too. Something must have, or there wouldn't have been any Orlanthi left to defend Whitewall afterwards, they'd have all run away. (Well, except for the very heroic and brave PC-inspired groups...)

> It would seem to me that the 1619 assault on
> Whitewall would
> make one heck of a fine Heroquest scenario

It would.

> - along the lines of the Battle of Iceland.

But preferably a lot more flexible and open to high-level player plots than the way Iceland was presented.

Who discovered those ancient rituals and helped Broyan carry them out? The PCs. Who came up with the teleportation plot (and did the teleportation)? The PCs. Those Ticks? Yep. The drop of Arroin's blood, to Heal the Bat? Yep.

Sure, the NPC action can be there as fill-ins and background in case your players just don't want to do that. If they'd rather let the NPC cannon fodder deal with the Bat while they do the *important* stuff, fine, this is all useful scenery. If they're low-level, we need the scenery. If it's in their back-story, we need the scenery. But there's a reason why we call PCs Heroes these days, and let's have the chance to make the most of it!

> The Lunar troops found only twenty three
> corpses. None of the leaders were found."

> But how did the other Orlanthi heroes -
> Kallyr Starbrow, and others - make it out?

Well in advance, I suspect.

Kallyr and her group can always use Sunset Leap, if you read that description: and that's such a great description, it's got to happen "on-camera" at some point.

But yes, all the methods for gettng supplies in can now be used for getting people out. You're right, it's another great source of scenarios.

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html