Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:43:53 +0000 (GMT)

> I'd understood that Heartlings were strictly
> exogamous,

This has been discusse many times before, and I doubt if we want to rehash all the arguments again (do we? Moderator decision).

Heortling *bloodlines* are exogamous. Definitely. All source agree. Whether that means merely "no marriage within the bloodline" or "no sex within the bloodline" has been the subject of a little debate, but I think most of us would agree on the stronger definition.

It has also been suggested that *clans* are exogamous. Again, we have to consider whether we mean "no marriage" or "no sex", and whether this is just an expected norm or an absolute requirement for everyone (and I'm taking English, not Sartarite, so "all" means 100%).

Here opinions and sources differ.

> I was
> therefore assuming that young people whould be
> looking hard for partners outside the clan.

They will be. A marriage outside the clan is of considerably more economic value. However, several sources also describe them looking at potential partners *inside* the clan. And how often do you meet anyone from outside the clan, anyway? A cattle raid is not a social event :)

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html