Re: Dream walking?

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:03:49 -0000

We haven't had this one for a while and it might be instructive (quite a lot of new subscribers post HeroQuest these days)

> Heortling *bloodlines* are exogamous. Definitely. All
> source agree. Whether that means merely "no marriage
> within the bloodline" or "no sex within the bloodline"
> has been the subject of a little debate, but I think
> most of us would agree on the stronger definition.

Yes, that's what most folks seem to consider in previous discussion. I'd go along with myself. Its an extended family. Me, I don't think that sleeping with one's cousins is proper... though some folks aroun here (southern US) seem to have been doing so.

> It has also been suggested that *clans* are exogamous.
> Again, we have to consider whether we mean "no
> marriage" or "no sex", and whether this is just an
> expected norm or an absolute requirement for everyone
> (and I'm taking English, not Sartarite, so "all" means
> 100%).

I think its very much the norm, but clans can differ.

> Here opinions and sources differ.
>
> They will be. A marriage outside the clan is of
> considerably more economic value. However, several
> sources also describe them looking at potential
> partners *inside* the clan. And how often do you meet
> anyone from outside the clan, anyway? A cattle raid is
> not a social event :)

Moots. Visits to the farming folks next door. Its common for one to exchange labour as well as meet at the monthly moots. I suspect there's more too-ing-and-fro-ing between steads and clans than might be apparent. But YMGV, of course.

Jeff