Re: Distances? Trave Rates!

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:45:50 +0200 (CEST)

Graham Robinson

> In the spirit of experimentation, I've actually stuck together a couple of
> rough maps, of the "compare fantasy map to real world map" kind.

> Find them at http://grahamrobinson.com/glorantha/lunar_size.html

Most useful!

> The results, I suspect, will surprise some people. Not least those who
> believe that the Lunar Empire is not much bigger than Britain...

I'm inclined to go for the middle way between your two maps. Getting the Carmanian Empire of 1220 S.T. the size of Alexander's conquests has the right feel for me.

Rob Davis

> I prefer the smaller size Lunar Empire, personally. Also, i think
> the population figure (10 million) is what i would imagine from an
> ancient society with birth healing magic.

The population is roughly equivalent to the Roman Empire at its maximum expansion. The area depicted in Graham's first example is (wild estimate) one sixth of the Roman Empire at its maximum expansion. Given that the limiting factor in Roman population wasn't death in childbed but feeding the masses, I think we do have a problem here.

Jane:

> And I prefer the bigger one, it being roughly equivalent in size to the
> western Roman Empire.

That would be the middle resolution (upscaled by a factor of 2). The bigger one has at least the land mass of Roman Empire at maximum.

> Still, from the POV of my players and the PCs I run, "Far too big" and "a
> long way away but not far enough" covers it nicely!

I still feel more comfortable to know how long I need to walk in order to leave my people's frame of reference. How far do the Heortlings drive their herds in transhumance? What are the opportunities for rounding up lost strays, making the Big Raid, etc.? Are there high pastures jointly used by several clans? Or just several steads? What about stud-geld while on high pasture? etc...