Re: Re: Hero Quests R Uz

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:20:22 -0500

Wulf Corbett wrote:

> Hmm... given that Thunder Rebels was first intended for November,
> there will probably be snow on the ground again before Sartar Rising
> emerges... very atmospheric, but a bit long to wait :)

Probably the case, but I hope its not that bad a lag.

> > You can very readily de-engineer many of the short myths that we're
> > getting in Anaixal and other places into small 4-5 station
> heroquests.
> > Its dowright creepy how easily the stories fall appart into stages
> when
> > you look at them right.
>
> Oh, I have little trouble thinking up HQ generally, it's thinking up
> INTERESTING ones that don't just read like an old D&D dungeon crawl...

Mmm. I am finding it rather plug-and-play. It doesn't seem to dungeon crawl but our narrator styles may differ. I'm pretty happy to improvise though with the heroes having their own copies of the myth (none of them are quite insane enough to go questing with out a list) they can usually improvise their own solutions. Afterall, the myth is a 'direction of departure' and many of the opponents are drawn from your own personal baggage.

> > Heroquests can be done with 'off the shelf' characters though the
> > rewards may differ for such weak opponents. As a personal rule of
> > thumb, I feel heroquesting in the Hero Plane generally gives you
> > opposition similar to yourself (generated when you cross that 10w3
> > barrier). heroquesting into the god-plane gives you godly oposition
> > (those 10w3+++ problems). I'll try do dig up my (scattered) campaign
> > notes and bounce them to you.
>
> Ta. I had assumed the opposition was set to match the rewards,
> therefore you ought to figure the rewards first (but what ARE the
> rewards, that's my next problem - items & new abilities/powers are
> OK, but if you HQ to gain, say, better Leadership, how much do you
> gain - and by now, I see this really should be on the Rules list :).
>
> Wulf

Oh, that's just _my_ way of doing it. I don't expect anyone else to use it. The scale of opoosition depends on how you focus the quest -- some are fixed (Heroplane) but some are not -- these are more along the lines of those who draw opposition to you.

I'm still looking for a good way to do Summons of Evil in HW.

For questing for personal power, IF the heroes have extraordinary support, I allow them to amass the benefit for _themselves_ -- the people who support them know this and are willing to go along with it. This is usually NOT the whole tribe or clan and usually only the warband and also families of the heroes (and usually not all of them).

At the end of the quest, I just look at each hero's accumulated carry over and give that to them as directed experience. And I don't let the carry-over exceed the bonus provided by the supporting worshippers. Doing this too often results in cranky friends and relationships.

If they screw up and get a negative carry over, they LOSE that amount of HP and their followers are badly hurt by it. Probably cost them permanent relationship damage as well.

Jeff