Borders, Moon Observations, Blank Lands

From: Greg_at_...
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:21:26 -0700

Friends,

> On 19 May 2004 at 15:51, Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
>
> > Why doesn't anybody ever seem to mark national borders :(

Because they don't exist in the maps Issaries has published so far. Of course, the Glowline is an exception because it does exist, is visible and perceptible and beyond question.

The countries often interpenetrate each other as a matter of course. It is a natural thing, and no one has surveys to check it out. The unfortunate towns and villiages on the borders change hands regularly, either through threat or invasion, or because they are unhappy with their latest lords and switch sides by themselves.

On the other hand, where such shenanigans have been going for long enough to have results there are NO villiages, all having been burned down by one vengeful warlord or another.

> Light Castle asked:
>
> > what's up with the moon?

> > Is it supposed to be that in one section of the world on the
> > same day, the moon is in different phases?

Nick replied:
> Yes. If her Full ruddy face is shining South of the Crater, her
> Black back side must be showing to the North of the Crater. No?

Nick is correct, and I believe this will be nicely explained in full in ILH2.

Someone else asked:

> >Back in RQ3 days I recall that Charg (possibly mis-spelled, the big
> >piece of Fronela still behind the ban), Balazaar, and some other
> >areas were carefully not defined or described, and were preserved
> >as "blank lands."

As Peter said, Charg was never a blank land.

I will add that I am PRETTY sure that Balazar never was either. Without having any references material handy I will ask others to look it up, please.

Also, they do not officially exist at this time.