Re: Windstop outside DP [was Whitewall]

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:15:45 -0400

Light Castle asks:

>Everywhere? For how long? If I'm running at all the main storyline (even if my players aren't involved in any of this) that's sort of a big deal if it is everywhere.

As was mentioned elsewhere, winds all over the world gradually shift towards Dragon Pass, and dissapate when they enter the affected region. This has a wide range of interesting effects, depending on where you are looking.

My game is set in Carmania, where the seasonal wind patterns locked into a generally southeastern flow. That means cold, dry winds came down off of Valind's Glacier for the entire year. Winter was unusually severe, and the following harvest was severely affected. Everyone worried, and the finger of blame was pointed in many directions. Some in the know blamed the Lunars/Dara Happans and their obsession with Orlanth. Others blamed Hare, the Pelandan trickster god, and his Crooked buddies (Storm Gods, chiefly Valind). Old folks blamed it on the decline of Virtue among the young. Noble Houses blamed each other. Etc, etc, etc.

Eventually the effect ended, and things went back to normal following a period of unstable and stormy weather. The effect this had on my game was that many groups saw the Windstop as a "wakup call" and kicked their various plots and plans into high gear. One result of *that* was the return of the Boat Planet, but that's another story...

~Kevin McD

PS: After reading Sons of Kargzant, I am curious what *they* thought of the Windstop, and how they reacted to it. I'll bet it effected them worse than most people outside of Dragon Pass...