Re: Rikard's capital

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:52:07 +0200 (CEST)

Light Castle

> Rikard Tigerheart's capital. Where is it? Searching around I've seen at
> least one person
> put it in Karse, but it seems that he is usually located to the Southern
> half of Herotland
> (with Bryan in the north).

IMO Rikard's capital is the old capital of the high kings of Heortland, Durengard. Following the Anglo-Saxon conquest analog, Rikard would prefer to claim legitimate successorship, and that usually means taking over the capital etc. of the precedessor.

Thunder Rebels p.52f tells us that he conquered the Hurlant tribe, and mentions after the Esvular description (where the Esvulari moved _their_ capital to Mount Passant) that he rules over the entire plateau (i.e. Esvular, Gardufar and Karhend).

Karse most definitely isn't the capital - basically, the conquest of Karse did not reduce Rikard's kingdom in any way, which may be the reason why Fazzur had almost an entire year to prepare the conquest of the rest of Heortland.

> Since I'm placing my campaign in 1619 Karse, post Lunar take over, I'm
> trying to figure
> out where the major players are. The North/South split between Broyan and
> Rikard
> makes things easy, with Karse having managed to stay independent of it all
> until the
> Lunars waltz in (and then set about attacking both Broyan AND Rikard,
> pinning the
> former in Whitewall quickly and kicking the latter out by 1620?).

To nitpick, the attack on Broyan's forces necessarily predates the siege of Karse by a few days (the skirmishes which sent Broyan holed up into Whitewall). Smithstone was a major city of Broyan's Volsaxi tribe, too.

Broyan in Whitewall is a free king of a conquered land, with his army still intact, but his domain conquered except for one last fortress.

Fazzur is not actively involved in the siege of Whitewall. During the start of the campaign, he left his slow contingents to keep Broyan's army from interfering with the conquest, then systematically took the other centers of power and money in Volsaxar. While building up the final assault on Karse, he also has troops securing the supply lines via Smithstone and pacifying the clans of Volsaxar. When the supply lines from Wilmskirk to the besieging forces of Whitewall are threatened, Fazzur has to send part of his mobile army to oversee the dissolution of the Kultain tribe. This will create an ebb and flow in the forces present at Karse and Smithstone. Towards the end of the year, Fazzur sells the governorship over the Volsaxi and Smithstone to Baron Sanuel. Meanwhile, his agents are active in Rikard's New Malkonwal, seeking out dissidents or bribable allies.

> Given that the 3rd player wants her character to be someone who
> committed an atrocity, (she hasn't decided on which side she was
> when she did it and what side she is on now) who has fled to
> Karse. I'm trying to make sure I know some good places she
> may have done this.

Atrocities are hard to commit in Glorantha. Intra-cultural it is easier, like Orlanthi consorting with Chaos or Lunars evading taxes.

There are stories about Lunar atrocity troops, like the story where a Lunar tribune (or was it Jaxarte) meets Roan-ur (in Tales #16).

> It seems there is active, recent nastiness going on in the following
> areas:

> Dragon Pass (any iteration of Lunar vs Orlanthi - either side can have
> done something
> nasty to the other, and this can extend from Tarsh exile region right on
> through Sartar)

The most recent activities which might be judged as atrocities (of a larger scale) by the Sartarites were the Firebull Rebellion among the Sambari and the dissolution of the Dundealos.

Activities regarded as atrocities by the Lunars: robbing tax trains, killing officials in an imaginative vengeful way.

> Herotland gives us Rikard vs the Esvulari he's conquered,

More likely vs. Hurlant or Karhend Orlanthi, although the Bad Sheriff of Jansholm plot always works. Think of a Sir Guy de Gisborne who finds he has a conscience after eliminating one bunch of rebels in a gruesome way (or the nun who betrayed Robin Hood and wants to repent).

> Rikard vs Broyan, Broyan vs the Lunars, and Rikard vs the Lunars.

The major outrage among the Lunars was the drowning of the concubines which led to the dissolution of the Kultain tribe. Check the Wilmskirk Yahoogroup list archives for some ideas.

> Obviously, I can always make something up for one of the other 6ths if
> none of these
> appeal to her. (Calandraland seems the easiest, if I go with a split among
> the various volcano priests.

Here violence is part of the religion, as among the Uz and the Heortlings.

> Esrolia seems less wracked by violence.

That actually makes having an action regarded as atrocity easier. There are a couple of Black Earth type activities which might qualify - Cult of Kali stereotypes, for instance.

> The Shadow Plateau is trolls,
> so less likely for her to be there, and neither of the Isles seem
> particularly jumping right now.)

The isles might offer overseas activity, e.g. in Melib. Imagine a revenge against abductors of crewmates going a) way over board and b) against the wrong target, and you might have a sufficiently large black mark on a character. Otherwise, the shipwreck of the Medusa with its ensuing cannibalism might be a useful stereotype to build from.