Re: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:53:08 +0100

Andrew Solovay wrote:

> Yes, but... (struggles, and fails, to come up with a delicate way to
> put this) if they're "women", they're women with pee-pees.

And men have been imaginative enough to get around this problem for a very long time. :)

> So while they may be able (socially and religiously) to marry men,
> their options for mates are going to be comparitively limited. And I
expect that
> the notoriously open-minded and tolerant Heortling society[*] is going
> to wonder just a little bit about the guy who decides to marry a
> Nandan instead of, say, a Bevaran...

Very possibly so, on all counts. Indeed, this is pointed out in the Storm Tribe writeup. But the fact remains that the mythic/social institution is there, regardless of whether everyone likes it or not.

I think it's exactly analogous to the fact that people think that Vingans are "odd". I find it interesting, though, that everyone (and I'm talking about players here, not Gloranthans) seems able to accept Vingans who act like men without batting an eyelid, but the converse - Nandani men who act like women - is seen as incredibly weird and mind-boggling. Something of a double-standard, no?

I still remember the offensive comments that were made when Nandan came up on the Glorantha Digest a couple of years ago, and I wonder if we're seeing a less... vehement... manifestation of the same attitudes.

I hesitate to use the word "homophobic", but given the negative reaction I got from my gaming group when I mused about the possibility of playing a Nandan worshipper, I do wonder.

Regards,

Bruce