Re: Re: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:57:40 -0400

At 01:15 PM 7/22/2004 +0100, Jane Williams wrote:
>--- Peter Larsen
>
> > I think they are socially men for Vingans and women
> > for Nandani. They ought
> > to have have male or female fertility (although this
> > would require a
> > heroquest to manifest). So do all career Vingans
> > marry women?
>
>There are several known cases of (usually heroes)
>having Vingan mothers. I think you'll find that if
>Vingans retain any sexuality, it's female. They do a
>man's job, they don't become men.

         It seems counter-intuitive, though, doesn't it? If fertility comes from magic, from the gods, taking on male magic should mean taking on male

characteristics. I just don't see it as a buffet -- "OK, I want male
fighting magic... male social responsibilities... Let's see, I'll pass on
the sexuality..." Part of the problem is, of course, why Vingans exist in
HeroQuest is not the same reasons Vingans exist in Glorantha. Vingans exist because players a) want to play women and b) want to play fighters. Despite HQ's de-emphasis on combat, none of the published scenarios really leave room for a non-combatant to shine. When a scenario hinges on a healing or on a moot or on weaving a rug just right, then there will be room for "standard" female Orlanthi characters. I mean, how many people on this list play Ernaldans? Which sub-cults?

>(I'm a programmer: a male-biased job. Ask my husband
>what gender I am.)

         Did you mythically have to become a man to get the job? (There was a time when this might have been necessary....)

>Even Nandans are acknowldeged as having male bodies,
>remember.

         Sure, but I think that there is a difference between genitals and fertility in Glorantha....

Peter Larsen