Re: God Post/Gaumata's Vision

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:57:40 -0000

Ah, Gaumata's Vision. Still my favorite piece of work if I do say so myself.

While:

  1. I think this is a quite reasonable method of communication between a god and his worshipper
  2. It did appear in an Official (TM) Gloranthan (R) Suppliment(C) from Avalon Hill(eh),

 as the writer of the above piece I can tell you that I have only guesses as to whether this matches with Greg's ideas of god communication. When Gaumata's Vision came out, Greg wasn't paying much attention to RQ, and while in theory someone from Chaosium read all AH manuscripts beforehand, I don't think it got much of a going over. In fact, I think I can recall a later conversation with Greg where he said he had never read Gaumata's Vision.

That makes me sigh, because as the writer I'm very proud of that piece and don't think there's much out there in terms of scenario design that worked the same way. Skullpoint in Gathering Thunder comes close.

Moving beyond that quote, there's one other thing that occurs to me about trying to get a message from one worshipper to another via god: a 10W3 barrier!

Mike Dawson