Re: Digest Number 238

From: Mike Gibb <m.gibb_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:46:55 -0000

 "Bryan Thexton" <bethexton_at_...>
wrote

> One interesting side effect of the magical approach is that you
> wouldn't be confined to males. You could presumably de-sex a female
> in much the same way. You couldn't totally eliminate the equipment,
> but you could eliminate fertility, sex drive, and a large portion of
> secondary sexual characteristics, one would presume.

Certainly that is the impression that I get about Babeester Gor (and Vingan?) cultists. But in this case loss of fertility (thus sexuality?) is a sign of strength. Culturally male loss of fertility ("potency") tends to be viewed as weakness. Will this be the case for Nandanites? They give up their maleness (or certainly Nandan did) for the benefit of the tribe, cursed with lack of fertile women.

(This sacrifice is hopefully viewed by the Orlanthi tribespeople in a slightly more enlightened way than some of the, increasingly off-colour, posts on the Nandan thread on the GD last year)

> Somehow I think
> one of the things most people would find more disturbing than dealing
> with a powerful eunuch is dealing with a powerful eunuch, and not
> being able to tell what gender he or she was originally. We attach
> so much of identity to gender, and in Glorantha possibly they do so
> even more.

Although I have no plans to take my game to the East at present, I can see the appeal of this. (BTW, did anyone ever figure out if Tripitaca (in the TV series 'Monkey') was a man or a woman?)

sorry getting a bit off-topic again.

have fun

mike
8-)