RE: Cool stuff and NPCs

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:48:20 +0100

> > Remember that in RQ, *enchanted* iron had no effect on
> > your magic - that was the point of enchanting it! HQ
> > iron wrecks your magic, enchanted or not. I'm not
> > surprised hardly anyone's using it.
>
> For the record, I was opposed to that particular rule...

It is intended to be an actual change in the way Glorantha works, then? One day iron started inhibiting magic, and everyone went "WTF???", took it off and threw it away? It hasn't been all that relevant in-game yet, I was hoping I'd just misunderstood something. (Swords campaign, moving from HW to HQ, we decided the rule didn't apply to Humakti, and ignored it. Or said "no, this is a mysterious metal that looks just like iron but doesn't affect magic, OK?")

> We do provide named items for NPCs,...
>
> Now, what we *don't* do is give much of an indication of what
> these items do.

Fair enough, nor do most PCs! And as usual, there isn't room.

> (Looking through OiD, I do see that I fell down in the
> imaginative equipment department, just handing out "Iron
> swords" and the like.)

Which then inhibit their owner's magic :( But this is during a period when magic isn't working anyway, so no problem. I just suspect that at the end of the scenario, they're going to swap back to bronze.

(BTW, I'd suggest thinking through the idea of an iron or indeed bronze *shield* very carefully. There's a good reason why they're rare in the real world, and it's nothing to do with magic.)