Re: RE: Inaccurate myths; bronzes

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:33:06 -0700

> An amusing derivation, and I'd love to believe it.
> I've seen heaps of those elision marks, myself. De
> for domine, for instance. One problem that I can see:
> what about the context? Sounds like the middle of a
> battle scene, taking a sword out of a Saxon. Hardly
> corresponds with the whole ceremonial set-up. Since
> Arthur is always fighting the Saxons, I can't imagine
> him accepting a sword from one as a token of kingship,
> either.

One of the problems I have with the whole Sarmatian "Sword in the Stone" theory is that the first time we hear about the Sword in the Stone is a thousand years after Arthur *may* have lived, (which was 200 years after Arturus Castus *did* live). The theme doesn't appear in any of the earlier Arthur works, even in the 1100's with Geoffrey of Monmouth, Wace and Layamon. I don't have access to my copy of the Vulgate, so I can't check to see if it was part of the French cycle, but in English the first appearance is (I think) Mallory in the 1400's.

Could it have remained, preserved by a thousand years of only oral history? Well, I suppose it could have, but Occam's Razor suggests otherwise.

RR
- Richelieu