Fleshing out some Glorantha-specific details

From: yuskim1 <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:00:33 -0000

First up let me apologise if this is the wrong forum for this post but my digest doesn't seem to have been working of late.

I'm wanting to write a scenario to introduce the players to both HQ and Glorantha but I am running into problems with some of the background  details.

The background to the scenario goes something like this (I'm looking for help with the phrases inside square brackets [])...

A [3 geographic feature] which marks the position where the territories  of three [1 groups of people] meet is also the source of [2 some unsusal magic]. Every [4 few years] delegations from all three surrounding  communities must assemble at the location and and collectively  renew the magic or they will (all) be without it's effect until the next chance to remew it comes around.

  1. group of people: I may have to use (Heortling) clans here but would prefer to use a smaller sized grouping if such distinctions exist below the clan level.
  2. some unsusal magic: I could use landscape Daimones or Spirits but I would prefer something more unsusal. I like the idea of a landscape Essence but can't see how it could fit with only needing to be renewed every few years. Otherwise I would like some effect which is outside the usual range of Heortling magic. Unfortunately all I can think of is that it is a non-air or -earth elemental connection. E.G. all the clan's fires burn 10% hotter and consume fuel at two-thirds the usual rate.
  3. geographic feature: Presumably this sould be in keeping with the nature of the magic but it should also be fairly low-key and not something normally associated with more standard magic (i.e. not a wind-swept hill-top).
  4. few years: I originally intended a five year fixed cycle and thought of adding this event into the commimg of age rites which also seem to occur every five years. But now I favour the idea that it could be two years or six years but not knowing exactly when the rituals need to be performed until some sort of 'call' goes out a short time before hand.

My intention is that three (well, more than two but not too many) relatively small communities of people who all live in a particular region benefit from some relatively minor but rather unusual magical effect. I'm hoping that having one of these events (along with all the trading and other goings-on that occur when the three groups have get together for a common goal) will produce lots of opportunities for good role-playing situations. Not to mention the fact some factions may wish to sabotage the event. ;-)

So if anyone can help fill in the blanks with ideas that mesh with Gloranthan lore or if you have suggestions/comments I'd be most interested to hear them.

Thanks,