Re: Comparative mountains.

From: pedrodevaca <pavis_gm_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:36:02 -0000

> > Things like this make me wonder how anyone with normal eyesight
> ever gets lost in the
> > open in Glorantha.
>
> FWIW, I've managed to get lost on Mt. Ranier before. And I've
> gotten really disoriented hiking around Mr. Baker. Even with that
> damn huge mountain right in front of me. Just go hiking in the
> mountains sometime where there aren't good trails and throw away
the
> map. Amazing how easy it is to get lost.

Depends on terrain and forest cover. The cascades are not the easiest because of the lack of definitive ridges. Even above treeline its not always simple to know what aspect of the mountain you are on.

Rolling, uniform, and/or forested terrain is very easy to get lost in. I can imagine it being somewhat easy to got lost in Sartar. Very easy in the Wastes.

Now the Rockwoods... only someone who is blind or daft would get lost without the influence of bad weather. Steep range front, steep-sided deeply carved valleys/canyons. Very easy to navigate around in.

Of course, only strangers to these areas would get lost at all since everyone knows their local landmarks. The landmarks are just more subtle in some areas then others. Modern man gets lost much easier than folk who have never had the 'luxury' of growing apathetic to the countryside due to streets, street signs, traffic lights, maps, and friendly gas station attendants.

-Mitch