Re: Re: Tribal culture

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:39:58 -0800

John Galloway wrote:

> wrote:
>
>>Can we assume that (post HQ) they worship "Argar Argan", which we
>>are now told is the cult practiced by humans in the Holy Country?
>>(As opposed to "Argan Argar", the name among trolls.)

> Oops. It is only due to this message that I have noticed that they
> 'changed' the name. Yet the info provided on page 122 of the HQ book
> (e.g. Lodril*, Palace of Black Glass, Only Old One, etc.) make it very
> clear that the entity NOW referred to as 'Argar Argan' is the same as
> the RQ2/RQ3 Troll god of trade (and surface darkness) who used to be
> called 'Argan Argar' (IIRC).

As I understand it, when trolls worship him as the god who helps them cope with the surface world, he's called "Argan Argar" (as we always knew). When humans worship him as the god who helps them deal with darkness, he's called "Argar Argan". The name among trolls hasn't changed, but we now know that humans call him something slightly different--the "Argar Argan" name appears in the Holy Country write-up (not a Troll write-up), and the magic is slightly different than we'd see in the Troll version.

I believe this was discussed on one of the mailing lists, but I'm not sure which--I'll see if I can track it down.