Re: Tribal culture

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:27:01 -0800

Peter

>Take for example Destor. His worship in Sartar consists of
>Destor the subcult and the aspect of Orlanth Adventurous. It is
>the worship of the aspect that is criminal in lunar eyes. A sartarite
>can worship Destor without worshipping Orlanth Adventurous.
>In such a case, he only receives the Wind Affinity and some
>Movement Feats.

If I were running a game where Lunars were a concern, they wouldn't make such fine distinctions. Much simpler for them to say "Destor = default Orlanth Adventerous subcult; Orlanth = BAD; therefore Destor = BAD." Even if they'd be wrong.

I think the Lunars would consider any Wind powers not from a friendly god to be bad. The way to hide worship is to be Barntar: "I'm only farming. Pay no attention to those Starkval tattoos. Orlanth Allfather is the farmer, also known as Barntar."

I think this is an area where YGWV, and Your Story Will Vary. Sometimes it'd be more fun to have an educated Lunar who makes Peter's distinction. Sometimes it'd be more fun to have a clever Lunar who figured out that Orlanthi are hiding under Barntar. But in general, I don't think most Lunars bother to learn that much about their conquered province. (Tarshites, who make up much of the occupation, are another matter.)

--

David Dunham